Thursday 19 June 2014

SAYING NO TO STAGNATION


I think as I've grown older, one of the things I have grown to fear the most is stagnation. There is nothing more disheartening than feeling stuck in a rut... Yet that feeling keeps coming and going for me. I go through the whole push-pull of feeling inspired to make a change in my life, and then being too lazy to actually enforce it. It's so easy to fall back onto routine and bad habits, and then the excuses come flowing out to justify it. It's a vicious cycle.

So this time, I really want to muster up the determination to follow through with my goals and ideas. I really want to become that person I keep envisioning or hoping to become. I think it's time I stopped making excuses for myself and really back up it all up with action. Of course, this may all come with a price but I think one thing I really learnt from going on exchange was that ... money is fleeting, so use it wisely because there are so, so many avenues for us to spend money. In other words, we all end up spending money anyway so why not spend it on something more meaningful and worthwhile? As a pretty crappy student when I took my finance classes, I've really just realised that there will always be risks, but the potential gain is what makes investments so rewarding. I guess, I realise that I either need to work harder to increase my income or learn to save so I can direct my funds towards achieving my goals or meaningful pursuits, rather than lamenting that all my money goes into food or clothes.

In light of this, I wanted to actually set my goal in 'stone' so that I am constantly reminded of them and thus will work harder to achieve them. I don't mean to be cliche but I'm the type of person who attributes significance and sentimentality over little random things, so I guess I really want to become a more responsible adult as I am 21 (even though I know that doesn't mean much in Australia since our age limits for most activities are 18).

Short term goals:

  • Start taekwondo classes. Join the club. It's terrible that I've actually wanted to do taekwondo since I was in high school, yet I still haven't taken the leap. I don't really know what's stopped me but it is really time for me to start before I'm 60 and look back and realise that I never got to do it. 
  • Time Management... is probably my biggest struggle since ever. I want to put my foot down and actually move on when the time is up.. instead of letting it trickle over to the next task, the next hour and so on. This year I've challenged myself with a lot more commitment but that means I have to up my game and get shit done for efficiently. 
  • Keep in contact with people better. I've always struggled to keep in contact with people. It's hard when you don't get to physically see them as often because it's like... well, what do I talk about? You have to actually make an effort to come up with topics of conversations or recap your life... It's difficult. However, I want to make that effort. I want to Skype or Google Hangout with people. I want to meet up with people. I want to make that effort. I guess this blog was also part of the plan - having a space where I can vent and capture my daily life so friends will be able to know what's happening in my life without me having to awkwardly recap it all the time... I just need to gather the courage to actually link them to my blog >.< 



Long term goals:

  • Get healthy. I know, everyone says this. However, it is truly that important. Since I'm still young, I've always had that mentality that being young = healthy. Yet, this isn't the case... our youth runs out on us quicker if we don't maintain our health... and being young doesn't make you immune to diseases or death. I really want to stop being so complacent and really be proactive in prevention. I'm going to start taking health management a lot more serious because the only thing we have at the end of the day is our health. And it's priceless... Unfortunately, we don't realise that until it is jeopardized. And I hate pain, so that should be my motivation.  But really... I'm always envious of those people who are fitness freaks because I just don't find the gym appealing. However, I'm hoping starting taekwondo classes can help that. And the occasional squash and rock climbing days. And exercising at home. Taking it slowly. I also want to cut junk food and soft drinks out of my diet. They're just so bad for my teeth and I'm scared of getting diabetes. That said, everything in moderation. I'm not going to become some health nut overnight but I'm trying to take it step by step. 
  • Giving more. I mean, we can talk altruism and ideals all we want but again, it needs to be backed up with action. I know it's not much, but as I've kept this 'new year's resolution' for two years running, I realise how important it is to actually give. By giving, we realise simultaneously how the significance and insignificance of money. We realise that every dollar goes a long way for those in need, yet we realise we aren't any less happy without that dollar. So it's better to redirect that dollar to a charity where it can actually create better tomorrows for those who need it. Instead of making it a new year's resolution, I want to make it a lifelong resolution to always give to those charities when I see people fundraising. However, I do limit myself to actual charities and not those people who ask me to sign up for a monthly direct debit because I know a large percent of that goes towards their wages instead of the needy; and also I need to retain some flexibility and control. That said, I would love to one day sponsor a child when I have the actual means to do so. I've actually toyed with the idea of adoption but that really is a farfetched concern because I am nowhere near the age to be thinking of having a family... and there are so many variables involved. So for the meantime, I really look forward to the day when I have a stable job and the means to sponsor a child, knowing that I was able to change someone's life for the better. 


That's it for now. Actually, there are so many more. But since one of my goals is to be more firm with my time limits... and one of those is to sleep before 2am, I better stop here and add more later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...