Tuesday 25 June 2013

THOUGHTS: THE GREAT GATSBY




Playlist: The Great Gatsby

After I finished my exams, I was finally able to go to the cinemas (in a long, long time). I met up with my friend and we headed to eat first, where I basically filled her in with my plans to travel. I don't know if it put more distance between us or not because we've had a similar discussion before where I told her I wanted to travel and she was a tad dismissive - she has wanderlust, but she feels that it's impracticable, expensive and irresponsible. She said she wanted to save for a house instead - which is reasonable. It's 'responsible' but it's definitely not what I want at this point in my life. I feel like I have the rest of my life to work towards that goal. That said, it is a dream of mine to own my own house - I cannot wait to be able to decorate it the way I want to, to create a sanctuary I call my own. I love interior design and I don't have the freedom to decorate my room the way I would like, but I don't see the rush. It's already hard enough for established people to buy a home, let alone a single twenty-something with little financial stability. I'm sure once I have a career, I would be responsible enough to save up for my home then.


Gatsby in all his glory. Sigh, my heart feels for you baby. 

Anyways, life rant aside. The Great Gatsby. It was amazing. Admittedly, I went through a very large portion of the movie feeling completely and utterly confused. However, by the end of the movie I was enthralled. The whole movie was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster. And the end had me in tears, and sad for the rest of the day. It's always fascinating when a movie has the ability to make you reflect. I prefer to go to the movies and unwind, shut my brain off and watch something mindless. Well, instead I got a movie which saw me pondering about how fleeting life and love is; how cruel and selfish we humans can be; how some people can love so powerfully and destructively whilst others can be so careless with love; how sometimes life is all but a mirage and all that we truly strive fall can fade to dust the very next second.

How can anyone break his heart? Girl, look at him!

Of course, I also fell for Leonardo DiCaprio again. Damn, I thought I was (and he was) too old for that, but apparently not. Seriously, before The Notebook made Ryan Gosling the romantic heart-throb, there was Leonardo making girls swoon since Romeo & Juliet and Titanic. How does he do it? He just has this intensity that makes him so compelling as the lovesick hero. But seriously, the poor guy needs to stop falling in love, and try stay away from water. Oh and Isla Fisher looks so different here, I felt that it was her but could barely recognise her.


I loved the colours in the movie - everything was so grand and dramatic. It was reminiscent of theatre, totally not what I expected from a movie - especially one about the 1920s. 

The sets of the film are very vivid and extravagant, and the acting was marvellous. However, I must say the movie really took off towards the end and I'm not so sure that makes for the most engaging storytelling. At the end of the day, I thoroughly enjoyed the film so I guess that didn't deter me too much. It's so unbelievable that a lot of the movie was filmed in Sydney, and apparently some people from my friend's uni actually were extras in some of the Gatsby's magnificent parties. So friggin' jealous.


They look so beautiful together. Carey Mulligan is stunning as Daisy. 

Also, the movie was so captivating that I've been inspired to actually read the book. I haven't actually started reading, but I have downloaded the e-book and emailed a copy to my iPhone as well. For anyone who is interested in reading the book, you can find a free copy of the ebook here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...